Creamy, comforting, and super seasonal, this recipe for white beans & cherry tomatoes alla vodka puts peak season produce to work. Use sungold tomatoes if possible as they impart a bright orange hue onto this rustic and flavorful sauce. Serve this dish alongside simple grilled fish or on toast for a hearty side dish. Don’t forget the cocktails! Add some sparkle to your dinner by pairing this dish with the Rhinestone Cowgirl.
2 TBSP olive oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 bunch swiss chard, stems diced and leaves chopped (keep separate)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes (preferably sungold), halved
¼ tsp red chili flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup tomato paste
¼ cup Portland 90 Vodka
1 can white beans (such as cannellini or great northern)
¼ cup heavy cream
Grated parmesan and chopped Italian parsley to garnish
1. Add the oil to a large pan over medium heat then add the shallots and swiss chard stems and saute until shallots become soft and translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
2. Reserving a few halved tomatoes for garnish, add the cherry tomatoes, garlic, chili flakes, and a good pinch of salt and pepper to the pan. Saute until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until it turns a deep red color, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the vodka to the pan and stir to scrape up any browned bits.
5. Add the beans and chopped swiss chard leaves to the pan along with one cup of water. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the heavy cream. Top with reserved cherry tomatoes, grated parmesan, and chopped parsley to serve. Enjoy.