This recipe comes to us from our friend Carlin St. John of Get Together PDX. Specializing in recipe development and catered events, Get Together PDX provides fantastic food and thoughtful details to create special gatherings and dining experiences. Follow @gettogetherpdx and contact Carlin with inquiries at email@example.com.
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 lb. chanterelle, shiitake, oyster, or cremini mushrooms (or use a mix), halved or quartered
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped into ½” pieces
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ⅓ cup New Deal Portland 90 Vodka
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup + 2 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup + 2 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. pasta (use any short shape you like)
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- Add breadcrumbs to a small skillet over medium-low heat and allow to toast, stirring every minute or so, until they are evenly golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil and mushrooms to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms are soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Note: you may need to do this in two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- While the mushrooms cook, add the chopped bacon to a large, high sided pan over medium heat and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside. Carefully pour off the bacon grease so that only 1 TBSP remains in the pan.
- Transfer the mushrooms to the skillet with the bacon grease and add the onion. Cook until the onion is translucent and beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and season again with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes before adding the vodka and scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mushroom mixture to cook while you make the pasta.
- Bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil and cook pasta 1 minute shy of package instructions. Using a measuring cup or coffee mug, remove about 1 cup of cooking water from the pot before draining.
- Transfer drained pasta and reserved cooking water to the mushroom mixture and add the lemon zest, ¼ cup chopped parsley, and ¼ cup grated parmesan. Stir well and cook until the sauce coats the pasta, about 3 minutes. Add the butter and toss to coat.
- Divvy the pasta into serving bowls and top each portion with a sprinkle of the toasted breadcrumbs, parsley, and grated parmesan.