- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup New Deal Cascara Liqueur, plus more
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 boneless ribeye steak (look for one that’s about 1 lb)
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper and allow to sit a room temperature for at least 20 minutes before cooking.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they are lightly browned and mostly softened, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the Cascara Liqueur into the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and allow the onions to cook until they are very soft and jammy, about 10 minutes.
- While the onions cook, set a cast iron pan over medium-high heat and allow to preheat for about 5 minutes then add 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add the steak to the pan and allow to cook on the first side until it’s well browned, about 5-7 minutes, before flipping and cooking until the other side is well browned, about another 4-6 minutes. Carefully transfer the cast iron pan to the oven and allow the steak to cook until desired doneness, about 5 minutes for medium. (And it’s totally acceptable to cut into the steak just a little to check for doneness; we’re not professionals here!).
- Remove the pan from the oven, add the caramelized onions and butter to the pan. The butter will start to melt instantly with the residual heat of the pan. Add a little more Cascara Liqueur to the pan if desired (to make it more saucy). Baste the steak with the onions, butter, and pan juices.
- Remove steak from the pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and topping with caramelized onions to serve.