This recipe comes to us from our friend Carlin St. John of Get Together PDX. Specializing in recipe development and catered events, Get Together PDX provides fantastic food and thoughtful details to create special gatherings and dining experiences. Follow @gettogetherpdx and contact Carlin with inquiries at email@example.com.
- 1.5 lbs beets (use a mix of red, yellow, and candy cane beets if available)
- 1 lb carrots
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup New Deal Coffee Liqueur
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 1-2 TBSP cilantro, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425℉. Scrub and peel the beets and cut into sixths. Place beets on a sheet pan, drizzle with 2 TBSP olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. (If using a mix of colors, keep them separate on the sheet pan to preserve their unique colors). Roast until beets can be easily pierced with a knife and are caramelized in some places, about 30-40 minutes.
- Scrub the carrots and slice in half lengthwise. Place on a sheet tray, drizzle with 2 TBSP olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until carrots have softened, charred in some spots, and are beginning to curl, about 20 minutes.
- Combine the coffee liqueur and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring mixture to a simmer and allow to cook until it reduces by half and becomes thick, about 20 minutes.
- Once the veggies and glaze have cooled to room temperature, arrange the beets and carrots on a platter. Top with crumbled goat cheese, cilantro, and coffee-balsamic glaze.