Celebrate the turn of the season with this bittersweet fall salad with Cascadia vinaigrette! The tangy, herbaceous, honeyed dressing highlights the sweet roasted squash and shaved root vegetables. Chopped hazelnuts add just the right amount of nuttiness and crunch. Serve this salad alone for a hearty lunch, or pair it with roast pork for a festive fall dinner. And don’t forget the cocktails! Pair this seasonal salad with a classic Negroni Blanc!
¼ cup hazelnuts
2 delicata squash, sliced into 1” rings, seeds scooped out
2 TSP fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 TBSP honey, divided
1 small kohlrabi
2-3 baby turnips
½ cup New Deal Cascadia American Bitter Liqueur
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
White wine vinegar
Seasonal salad greens
1. Toast the hazelnuts: preheat the oven to 375℉. Add the hazelnuts to a sheet pan and transfer to the oven. Allow the nuts to toast until fragrant and golden brown, about 7-10 minutes (check them frequently to avoid burning). Set aside to cool before roughly chopping.
2. Roast the squash: toss the squash rings with the chopped rosemary, 1 TBSP honey, 1 TBSP olive oil, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Lay flat on a sheet pan and transfer to the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping the squash rings halfway through roasting. Set aside to cool.
3. Shave the vegetables: using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel the kohlrabi. Slice it very thinly with a mandoline (preferably) or a knife and repeat with the turnips. Toss the shaved veggies with 2 TSP white wine vinegar, 1 TSP olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Make the vinaigrette: add Cascadia Liqueur and 1 TBSP honey to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the liquid to a gentle boil and allow to simmer until it reduces by half. Transfer the Cascadia-honey liquid to a small jar and allow to cool. Once cool, add 1 TBSP white wine vinegar, 2 ½ TBSP olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Put the lid on the jar and give it a good shake to emulsify.
5. Assemble the salad: place the greens in a shallow bowl or large plate and top with the roasted squash and shaved vegetables. Add about half of the vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts over the salad and top with more vinaigrette to taste.